Fall has officially begun and it’s a good time to begin checking items off of your home maintenance checklist. Here are a few items to help get you started:
- Check gutters and downspouts for leaves and other debris. By taking this quick step you could avoid costly water damage.
- Check flashing around chimneys and have chimneys inspected and cleaned. This can be very important to avoid fires in the event creosote has built up. The inspection may also indicate a problem with the liner.
- Check attic ventilation. A poorly ventilated roof permits the buildup of moisture and excessive attic heat.
- Change your furnace filters.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and test them out.
- Test your sump pump to make sure it is working properly.
- Cover your air conditioning unit to prevent debris from entering the system.