Search
  • The Uhl Agency

Fireplace Safety

Temperatures are dropping and we’re spending more and more time in our heated homes. There is something nostalgic about turning the fireplace on and being surrounded by loved ones. It’s not only a source of heat during the winter months, but it also becomes a gathering place for families and friends.

Fireplaces, as many know, are a hazard if not properly used. Since fireplaces typically only get used a few months out of the year, it is important to keep some things in mind before you light up a fire.

  • Make sure that your fireplaces are properly maintained and cleaned before you use them. It is easy for dust and debris to make your way into the fireplace that could eventually be hazardous.

  • Before you light the fire, make sure the flue is open so it will vent properly.

  • When you start a fire, use a match or lighter and never use flammable liquids.

  • Always use dry wood. Wet wood can increase buildup.

  • Do not burn any other items other than wood. Christmas trees, plastic, cardboard are all potential toxic chemicals that can cause damage to your fireplace.

  • Never leave a fireplace unattended. Before going to bed, make sure you fully extinguish the fire.

  • Make sure you have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your house to d

etect smoke and carbon monoxide, which is a gas that is odorless and hard to detect without a monitor.

These tips will help you maintain a safe winter inside the comfort of your own home. If you have any questions regarding fireplace safety, reach out to The Uhl Agency at (937) 434-9090.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All